Mint News Blog

News, Information, and Commentary on US Mint Products

Thursday, April 9, 2009

Puerto Rico 1,000-Coin Bags Sold Out


Collectors appear to have taken note of the drastically lower mintages for the 2009 Puerto Rico Quarters. The 1,000-coin bags offered by the US Mint have sold out in roughly nine days.

Bags and rolls of Puerto Rico Quarters went on sale March 30, 2009. The 1,000-coin bags were priced at $309.95, the 100-coin bags priced at $32.95, and the Two Roll Sets priced at $32.95. Currently, only the 100-coin bags and Two-Roll Sets remain available for sale.

A combination of the economy and the split of production between six different designs has created the perfect environment for low mintage quarters. Based on the US Mint's production figures, the 2009-P Puerto Rico Quarter has a mintage of 53,200,000 and the 2009-D Puerto Rico Quarter has a mintage of 86,000,000. As discussed in a previous post, these are the lowest mintages for circulating quarters in over 40 years.

Recent indications about US Mint production activity suggest that mintages may decline even further for subsequent releases of the DC & US Territories Quarters program. The next quarter for Guam should be released on or around May 26, 2009.

Separately, the William Henry Harrison Presidential Dollar Rolls have also sold out. The rolls were briefly unavailable a few weeks ago, but then went back on sale. The William Henry Harrison Dollar has the lowest overall mintage for any Presidential Dollar released to date with a combined 98,420,000 from the Phildelphia and Denver Mints.

Labels:

4 Comments:

At April 10, 2009 at 7:21 PM , Anonymous Chicken Little said...

ALERT!! ALERT!!

The two-coin Presidential dollar and First Spouse bronze medal set in the Jackson and Van Buren designs have both sold out!!

Not only that, but the next in the series will be priced one dollar higher. Cluck cluck!

 
At April 13, 2009 at 7:49 AM , Anonymous Brian said...

Thanks C.L.

I am still waiting for the 2-coin Jackson $ and First Spouse bronze medal set that I ordered on 12-31-08. Yes, 103 days ago (almost a third of a year).

I'm not too optimistic.

 
At April 13, 2009 at 2:41 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ditto Brian. I too ordered in the begining of December '08 for the Van Buren and Jackson dollar/spouse sets. I've received no less than 3 separate "backorder" email notifications since then for these items. The latest promises to fill and ship my order by 4/25/09. I have not been charged, however I also don't have much hope that the Mint will complete my order. Perhaps they have difficulty and hope I hit the cancel order button? I'd rather have the sets.

 
At April 15, 2009 at 5:48 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ha!, just 2 days later, my prediction comes true. I just posted to Brian that I've received 3 continuing emails since ordering a few Van Buren dollar & spouse sets in December. All with new ship dates. This morning another email notice arrived to inform me the items are "sold out". Sold out? A Mint representative will help me select another item of interest? I don't think so, these were part of an open and ongoing set being collected. Now I have a partial set that needs to be continued only by buying from a dealer or ebay seller at a much higher mark up. Thank you Mint.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home