Mint News Blog

News, Information, and Commentary on US Mint Products

Friday, July 31, 2009

New UHR Gold Coin Site from the US Mint

A new website from United States Mint has recently appeared, providing information and videos about the 2009 Ultra High Relief Double Eagle Gold Coin.
The site allows for an interesting 360 degree rotating tour of the coin with integrated facts. Separate sections of the site on the Design, Heritage, and Technology offer videos that I have not seen posted anywhere else.

I am not sure exactly when the site was launched. I stumbled across it within some search engine results. Even though the site is already live and functional, I don't believe the US Mint has publicly announced or promoted the site. It is not linked or referenced from any of the existing pages about the UHR on the US Mint's main website.

This is the first time I have seen the US Mint create a separate website for any purpose. I think the timing could have been better- they could have launched the site prior to the coin release and mentioned it within some of their promotional materials. With the coin already six months into release, it will be interesting to see how the US Mint starts using the site.

If you have some time this weekend, check out the new site at uhrgoldcoin.gov.

Labels:

8 Comments:

At July 31, 2009 at 1:59 PM , Blogger Lasloo said...

I couldn't figure out when the .gov domain name was registered, but the .com version (which forwards to the .gov address) was registered May 7th, 2009. Less than four months AFTER the coin was released.

This is the kind of stuff I wish the mint would do with many, if not all of its products. That, and more details about the release schedule, mint events, mintages, and sales.

 
At July 31, 2009 at 3:08 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing the UHR Gold Coin Site, it is very interesting. Makes me want to buy one this minute, but I have to make some $ choices here with the items that are coming up this year. It would be very cool if the Mint could do the same for commerative coins and such. Thanks again.

 
At July 31, 2009 at 3:21 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

All of its products.

Thanks for the link.

Looks like the mint got something right

 
At July 31, 2009 at 8:51 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember visiting the site back in February or before. I forget exactly how I was linked there. Back when I thought I might get one, I remember going there.

 
At July 31, 2009 at 11:57 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

You sound like an accountant who plans with a spreadsheet! :)

Marketing goes through many stages, and staggered advertsing and promos are normal with any product.

I think during the first weeks and months the mint had all the sales they could handle. They only recently lifted the 1 coin limit per house too.

 
At August 1, 2009 at 4:09 AM , Anonymous vaughnster said...

I wish the mint would show video of the actual production line and packaging of these coins. The background info is interesting, but we need to see how these coins come to life!

 
At August 3, 2009 at 10:54 AM , Blogger Jesse said...

On an unrelated note, the mint just released production figures for American Samoa. Even lower than Guam!!!P mint: 39,600,000. D mint: 42,600,000. Total: 82,200,000.

 
At August 9, 2009 at 9:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

The mint should stop printing on the edge of all the coins and also stop using Roman Numerial numbers. I never could translate those letters to numbers.

Also, I the feel the I/2 once gold coins are more interesting than the new UHR and the dollar coins...I particularly like the gold coins without the spouse image.

Goldilocks

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home