Mint News Blog

News, Information, and Commentary on US Mint Products

Monday, August 10, 2009

Write About Coins for Coin Update News


As some readers know, in addition to Mint News Blog, I run another coin related site at CoinUpdate.com. The site has traditionally provided a round up of coin collecting news from various sources around the internet. Today, I am announcing the expansion of the site to include a new section called Coin Update News.

This section provides expanded news coverage of US coins, world coins, and precious metals. In addition to standard news reports, many of the articles on the site will be written to provide unique opinions or perspectives on coins and the coin market. I just posted an article Coin Investing and Speculation, which examines factors which cause certain US Mint products to dramatically rise in value.

The site also includes "Coin Journals" which provide a format for individual collectors to share stories about their personal collections, insights and opinions on different coins, or share first hand experiences from coin related events or exhibits. I posted an article in the Coin Journals section on Bulgarian coins, sharing my observations on circulating coins an currency in Bulgaria after recently vacationing in the country.

While I have gotten the site a started with a few of my own articles, what I really want are articles contributed from individual collectors and coin dealers. I want the site to become a platform for showcasing unique individual perspectives and thoughtful original articles on coins and coin collecting.

Individual collectors and coin dealers are invited to write for Coin Update News. Collectors have a unique opportunity to share their insights or experiences with a board audience and earn money for their contributions. Coin dealers willing to contribute quality articles can gain valuable exposure for their business.

If you are interested in writing for Coin Update News or want to find out more, please contact me through the form on the Contributors page.

Labels:

10 Comments:

At August 10, 2009 at 9:01 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

good thanks for share :)

 
At August 11, 2009 at 4:47 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was looking at Coin Update News. Is there a schedule available for the Smithsonian roving exhibit?

 
At August 11, 2009 at 5:16 AM , Blogger Mint News Blog said...

So far they have only announced their intention to create the exhibit. Details are still being developed and will be released at a later date.

 
At August 11, 2009 at 9:05 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Michael and/or anyone else, does anyone know how to validate an error coin or even tell what constitutes an error coin? I'm relatively new to collecting (for about a year now) and have no clue how to tell if a coin I have is an error.

Specifically, I finally opened a box of 30 Lincoln Commemorative Uncirculateds (LN8) that I bought on day 1 that they went on sale at the mint and I received several months ago. I only intended on looking at a couple of the coins with my son last night when I noticed that the coin I was looking at had a bleed of metal off of the right side of the top loop of the "B" in LIBERTY. It kind of looks like a tilda symbol. I don't know if that's just poor manufacturing or a true error. Anyway, I looked at the rest of the 30 coins and 12 others had the exact same bleed of material.

Is there a website or some other authority who could validate what this is? Or, does somebody already know that it is just poor manufacturing and there is really no need to pursue this any further. Thanks for any help. Ron

 
At August 11, 2009 at 9:42 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Need first to fix this blog.

Words are often missing. For example, in the current post:

"Today, I am announcing the expansion of the site to include a new section called ___________________."

It seems you use green font which blends into the background.

 
At August 11, 2009 at 10:47 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

For the possible error coin look up Ken Potter and give him a call, he can help you. He is a well respectable writer for one of the numismatic publications.

 
At August 11, 2009 at 11:59 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the Update info - and I will certainly read it. It is very interesting how these US coins increase in value or DON'T - I understand about popularity, mintage, etc., although I'm still scratching my head regarding the Harrison dollar and why poor Tyler is being snubbed ;-) I will go out on the limb and say the Lincoln LP2 will go for $25-30 after the mint ceases to sell it. I thought the Lincoln Comm Proof took it's sweet good time to have a little value, I'm thinking after the chrono dollar & 4 cents are released and done it could shoot up in value. I hope Louis Braille will be a sleeper and wakes up in the next couple of years.

And for someone like me, there is little that is as beautiful as the Silver Proof American Eagle, looking forward to seeing it for sale - I just hope the price of silver doesn't zoom up and they stay affordable.

 
At August 11, 2009 at 9:08 PM , Anonymous Mike-NY said...

FORMATIVE YEARS CENTS ARE NOW OFFICIALLY SOLD OUT AT THE USMINT!!!

 
At August 12, 2009 at 6:06 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good riddence to those cents. After the horrific mishandling by the Mint of the Log Cabin issue, they reversed their plan for the Splitters. That made them worthless in IMO. Frankly, and I'm sure to be alone on saying this, I wouldn't pay .55 for a BU roll if offered. I will live quite well without any of the 4 coin series. I love numismatics and collecting coins and always will, but I have free choices and refuse to be manipulated by the issuing source. Others choose to do whatever they want. A sorry state of affairs.

 
At August 15, 2009 at 7:45 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I sold my LP2's early upon receipt, once I realized what the Mint was doing mintage-wise. I don't think I will regret that decision.

Will I be buying any of the LP3's? Undecided at this point. Watch the Mint limit them to the 100,000 unit level if I don't!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home