Saint Gaudens Ultra High Relief Update
Late last week, the US Mint provided an update on the proposed recreation of August Saint-Gaudens' Ultra High Relief Gold Double Eagle. Treasury Secretary Hank Paulson has now authorized the issuance of the coin along with some details of the production specifications. The Mint's press release can be found here.
- Coins will be minted in 24 karat gold.
- Coins will have a business strike finish.
- Diameter will be 27 millimeters. This smaller diameter will make the coins more than 50% thicker than other US Mint one ounce 24 karat gold coins.
- Only 2009 Coins will be minted.
- Coins will go on sale in early 2009, although sales may continue into 2010 if there is remaining inventory.
- The obverse of the coin will feature 50 stars instead of the original 46 stars. This change will honor all 50 of the current states, as opposed to the 46 states of 1907.
- The current date 2009 will be included in Roman Numerals "MMIX."
- The legally required motto "In God We Trust" will be added to the reverse.
Labels: Ultra High Relief