Mint News Blog

News, Information, and Commentary on US Mint Products

Friday, April 24, 2009

2009 Lincoln Cent Rail Spliter Two Roll Sets


The US Mint has officially announced the second 2009 Lincoln Cent Two Roll Set offering. Two Roll Sets for the Formative Years or "Rail Splitter" design will go on sale at the US Mint on May 14, 2009 at 12:00 Noon ET.

This will be the second of four different reverse designs to grace the Lincoln Cent during 2009. The rotating designs are issued to mark the bicentennial of Abraham Lincoln's birth, which is also the centennial of the Lincoln Cent coin. Each design will cover a different stage of his life with a new design released periodically throughout the year. See all of the 2009 Lincoln Penny Designs and Release Dates.

The 2009 Lincoln Cent Formative Years Two Roll Set will contain two 50-coin rolls, one with coins from the Philadelphia Mint and one with coins from the Denver Mint. Each roll will use a custom designed wrapper which denotes the contents of the roll and the mint.

The rolls will be priced at $8.95 each with an order limit of five per household. This is the same price and ordering limit that was in place for the previous design, which sold out within two weeks.

May 14, 2009 will also mark the official release of the new design into circulation, as well as the launch ceremony in Lincoln City, Indiana. Attendees of the launch ceremony will have the opportunity to exchange currency for new rolls of the Lincoln Cents at face value.

CoinWorld has also reported that US Mint facilities in Washington, DC will also likely have the new Lincoln Cents available for exchange at face value on May 14. The locations where coins may be available for exchange are the US Mint sales centers located at Union Station, 50 Massachusetts Ave, NE and the first floor of 801 Ninth St. NW, in Washington DC.

The first 2009 Lincoln Cent release saw prices reach ridiculous heights, with regular unmarked rolls of the coins briefly selling for above $50 each. The premiums were driven by high demand combined with a lack of availability through the normal circulation distribution channels. Will there be a repeat for the second release?

In my opinion, there will be relatively large premiums, but not at the extreme levels briefly experienced for the first release. The story has simply gotten too much attention, including mainstream coverage in USA Today.

There will be plenty of speculators descending on the few locations where coins will be available, and immediately putting them up for sale on eBay and other venues. The US Mint will also have the rolls available on the launch date. The prior roll offering came over a month later. This more dependable supply should keep prices at bay.

Nonetheless, you still might want to mark your calendar for the US Mint's release. Even at $8.95, the two roll sets will probably sell out quickly.

Labels: ,

15 Comments:

At April 24, 2009 at 7:52 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Missed the first roll set. I may get the second one. Eventually these may do even better just for the mint wrapper. Hard to believe since I've read stories from people who opened the mint rolls that the coin quality was sub par.

 
At April 24, 2009 at 7:56 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Apparently the mint has chosen the reverse of the 2010 cent. See


http://www.numismaster.com/ta/numis/Article.jsp?ad=article&ArticleId=6622

 
At April 24, 2009 at 8:33 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I for one have boycotted buying the first set of rolls, and will do the same for this and the next two. My decision, my choice, no regrets. I drew a line in the sand and congratulate those who didn't are are pleased with their decisions to buy some. Other Mint offerings appear to be approriately priced in most instances, $8.85 plus $4.95 shipping for $1.00 in common pennies is beyond absurd, but that's my opinion. Good luck all.

 
At April 24, 2009 at 10:04 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

There is something wrong about the pricing for $1 worth of pennies. If it was an oil co. they would call it price gouging. Although I read somewhere that it costs a dime to produce a penny. But the sets are going to increase in value since its a one year offering. Will I buy these? I don't know. I didn't buy the first set but they are collectables and good artwork on any coin has value. They also can be used as gifts.
I have been in favor of doing away with pennies for several years. Without pennies a business could round up or round down to the nearest nickel on any purchase. Though, maybe we do need them. Can you still buy a gumball for a penny?

 
At April 24, 2009 at 10:08 AM , Blogger Mint News Blog said...

Regarding the 2010 design, that was the choice of the Commission of Fine Arts. The final decision will be up to the Secretary of the Treasury. There are 18 possible design choices.

 
At April 24, 2009 at 1:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

And the Penny Mania continues!!! I could not believe my eyes when I came across an online auction at that ubiquitous auction site for a US Mint 2 roll set that he placed the same stamps as on the first release coins. He then had the Hodgenville P Office postmark them on April 15, 2008. Why April 15??? So he can advertise the rolls this way "RARE: ONLY 5 SETS EXIST WITH POSTMARKED DATE OF DEATH", I could deal with seeing this, except that the auction closed for $255.95 + shipping!! Apparently, the 144th anniversary of his death is a meaningful anniversary?

 
At April 24, 2009 at 1:01 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

To check out the above auction, this will help... 300308711981

 
At April 24, 2009 at 6:31 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

There is actually someone selling pre sale rolls on ebay that will ship to the winner as soon as the seller receives them. I believe the next ones will do just like the first. Especially when this type of trading begins. I never saw this with the first set. Very strange !!! By the way the wrappers on the Mints web page look nicer than what you receive.

 
At April 24, 2009 at 8:22 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I saw those rolls going in excess of $200 on Ebay because of the date of death was post marked on the roll. ;o) "Only in America," you have to admit there are some that think outside the box. I ordered my cents on 3/13 and still don't have them, I received an email a week ago from the mint that they were mailed ... by snail I think ... meanwhile my grandkids and I sit here and wait, hope the mint does better processing with the second set. Grandma D

 
At April 25, 2009 at 6:29 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I ordered my roll sets on 3/17 and they will arrive monday or tuesday.The second I will buy 10 or more sets.

 
At April 25, 2009 at 7:13 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hang in there. I received my 1 set yesterday that was ordered 3/14. They are using FedEx to ship to your local USPS and then USPS delivers. The best way to track shipments is to create an account on the mints web site. They provide you with a link to check once they email you that your order has been shipped. Oddly enough it works.

 
At April 25, 2009 at 7:30 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

When you received an email from the mint that they were mailed ,they also provided you with tracking information.You can track your package on www.packagemapping.com

 
At April 26, 2009 at 4:55 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hoorah - finally received my Lincoln Birthplace cents. I ordered 3/13 and received 4/25 ... the mint box is dated 3/03 ... that took forever to arrive, don't you think?

 
At April 27, 2009 at 10:01 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I received my first day/hour order 2 weeks ago after 3 calls to complain. I have 2 friends that received their first day order last Friday and another that has not received their first day order. I noticed a marked increase of sets for sale on Ebay in the last 5 days and the prices have dropped about $20 each on average. The Dukester

 
At May 13, 2009 at 8:28 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I bought the limit of 5 - sold them for $80 a set. With anything collectible, I always sell when I can double my money, let alone nearly make 8 times my money back !

My advice - buy as many as possible, see what they sell for on Ebay, sell yours $10 cheaper and they will sell in less than an hour.

When they were $100 to $90, I sold at $80, had $400 in paypal in less than an hour.

If you do not buy them, you are a fool.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home