Mint News Blog

News, Information, and Commentary on US Mint Products

Thursday, January 13, 2011

2011 ATB Quarters and Native American Dollar Images

The United States Mint has recently released images for some of the upcoming 2011 coins. Previously, only line art images had been available. The new coin images include the 2011 America the Beautiful Quarters and the 2011 Native American Dollar.

Besides providing a better idea of what the coins will look like in hand, the images also seem to portray the coins with the brilliant finish that will be used for uncirculated coin sets.

The circulation release dates for 2011 America the Beautiful Quarters according to Federal Reserve Bank Services will be January 24, April 4, June 13, August 29, and November 14. The coins have already been released in proof format within the 2011 Proof Set and will all be released in the 2011 Mint Set on February 8.

The 2011 Native American Dollar was scheduled to launch yesterday on January 12, but the ceremony was canceled with a future date not yet announced. Numismatic rolls are scheduled for March 28. Based on past practice, the coins may also be available in $250 boxes through the Direct Ship Program.


Gettysburg National Military Park Quarter
Designed by Joel Iskowitz
Sculpted by Phebe Hemphill
Circulation Release January 24, 2011


Glacier National Park Quarter
Designed by Barbara Fox
Sculpted by Charles L. Vickers
Circulation Release April 4, 2011


Olympic National Park Quarter
Designed by Susan Gamble
Sculpted by Michael Gaudioso
Circulation Release June 13, 2011


Vicksburg National Military Park Quarter
Designed by Thomas Cleveland
Sculpted by Joseph Menna
Circulation release August 29, 2011


Chickasaw National Recreation Area Quarter
Designed by Donna Weaver
Sculpted by Jim Licaretz
Circulation release November 14, 2011


2011 Native American Dollar Obverse
Designed by Glenna Goodacre


2011 Native American Dollar Reverse
Designed by Richard Masters
Sculpted by Joseph Menna

Labels:

15 Comments:

At January 14, 2011 at 4:49 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent designs.

 
At January 14, 2011 at 5:57 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

I just have to say that the ATB quarters in my opinion are far superior in design when compared to the state quarters. I think the mint is actually doing a good job with these designs, but a very poor job at circulating any of them. Although from a business standpoint what they are doing actually makes sense. Make it extremely difficult to find in circulation so you have no choice but to pay a significant premium over face from the mint. I do think though that this will backfire on the mint because there prices are now to high. They need to bring more collectors into the market and not shy them away with these new prices. I think most flippers will now be priced out. I for one will not purchase at these prices and I was a high quantity buyer.

 
At January 14, 2011 at 6:17 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really don't fault the Mint! They do put up with a lot of bull from us. Just read some of the posts here!

 
At January 14, 2011 at 6:35 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

"I really don't fault the Mint! They do put up with a lot of bull from us. Just read some of the posts here!"

Mint employees are not welcome here.....

 
At January 14, 2011 at 6:38 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think the people buying the ATB 5 oz at these insane prices are smoking that pipe on the new Sac.

 
At January 14, 2011 at 6:39 AM , Anonymous JA said...

Certainly agree with John.

I used to spend thousands on annual sets and this and that but no more. My collections will end with my 2009 items.

The mint has bitten me as collector for the last time.

This is a hobby for me not an unstoppable obsession.

 
At January 14, 2011 at 6:55 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, $49.95 for a $25 bag of quarters is outrageous. $32.95 was reasonable, but that's about it. I didn't even buy any last year at $35.95. I definitely won't be buying at $49.95.

By the way, is there any word if the Mint will be offering the 2011 Native American dollars through the Direct Ship program? I sure hope so. That's how I've gotten all of them so far.

 
At January 14, 2011 at 7:01 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

As a collector I am pleased with the Mint's design's. Not a Flipper, so when one leave's I am happy. I will purchase the Unc - Proof's and the Commemoratives from the Mint.

 
At January 14, 2011 at 7:30 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

On balance these designs are just OK. The exhorbitant pricing however precludes me from writing a check to order any. Given the poor and unimaginative offerings lately, they will have to show me something OUTSTANDING in order to convince me I should buy any. I think the fullfillment facility shelves will be overfilled again with unsold items this year. You ask outrageous prices you wind up selling nothing. The merchandise pricing dept. screwed up badly this year.

 
At January 14, 2011 at 9:45 AM , Blogger Lasloo said...

I am a BIG fan of the ATB designs. However, I was originally annoyed by the fact that the ceremony dates for all the ATB quarters were different from the release dates. As a maker of first day coin covers, this is extremely annoying. However, NOW, it seems they are releasing the bags on completely different dates as well. The Gettysburg ATB quarter is officially released on the 24th, but you can't get a bag of the coins until the 27th. Ugh. I'm just hoping that doesn't mean they will wait on putting those quarters in the vending machines at the U.S. Mint HQ in D.C.. I'll be there on the 24th some time after 12 to see if I can pick up any of the new ones.

 
At January 14, 2011 at 11:09 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

So you're still planning on making the covers this year?

 
At January 14, 2011 at 10:40 PM , Blogger Lasloo said...

As usual, I'm having production issues and I need to send the next batch out to the Gettysburg post office this week. Hopefully it'll all turn out ok... and if so, then yes, I should have the covers for this year as well. However, I'm making a lot less than I was making previously... as the Mint found out... not a lot of people are interested in first day coin covers. But for those who are... I do hope to continue this effort for a little while longer.

 
At January 15, 2011 at 5:57 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

FYI... The Sacagawea Dollar release that was scheduled for 1/12 at the Plimoth plantation in Massachusetts has been rescheduled for 2/15 at 10.30 am. I called the mint and they didn't even know the date, I had to contact the plantation to get the new date. I have never been to a mint release and since this site is only 50 miles from where I live I will gladly attend. Maybe I will call it the crack pipe event since that is what the mint has been smoking in the pricing dept.

 
At January 16, 2011 at 8:41 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hee hee!

 
At January 16, 2011 at 11:36 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

As a group I love the ATB designs, they are excellent!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home