Mint News Blog

News, Information, and Commentary on US Mint Products

Monday, August 16, 2010

James Buchanan Presidential Dollar Rolls

Sales of the James Buchanan Presidential Dollar Rolls will begin at the United States Mint on August 19, 2010 at 12:00 Noon ET.

This will represent the fifteenth release in the ongoing series of Presidential Dollars. The obverse of the coin features a portrait of James Buchanan designed by Phebe Hemphill. Inscriptions include "James Buchanan", "In God We Trust", "15th Presidency", and "1857-1861". The reverse of the coin features a rendition of the Statue of Liberty designed by Don Everhart with inscriptions "United States of America" and "$1". The motto "E Pluribus Unum" along with the date and mint mark appear on the edge lettering of the coin.

The United States Mint will offer 25-coin rolls from either the Philadelphia or Denver Mint. The circulation quality coins are packaged in US Mint branded wrappers which indicate the issue, face value, and mint of origin. The rolls are priced at $35.95 each.

The final mintage of the James Buchanan Dollar is already known, despite the fact that the coins have not yet been released. The US Mint has indicated final coin production of 36,820,000 coins at the Philadelphia Mint and 36,540,000 coins at the Denver Mint. This combined mintage of 72,360,000 represents the lowest mintage for a Presidential Dollar to date.

Presidential Dollar rolls for the last four consecutive releases still remain available for sale at the US Mint. The latest available sales figures indicate the James K. Polk Rolls have sold 41,036 (P) and 39,511 (D), the Zachary Taylor Rolls have sold 38,421 (P) and 36,739 (D), the Millard Fillmore rolls have sold 36,228 (P) and 34,760 (D), and the Franklin Pierce rolls have sold 31,570 (P) and 31,348 (D).
Coin Update News: 2011 First Spouse Gold Coin Designs

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

At August 16, 2010 at 6:01 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Michael,
In your opinion, if I can swing two gold spouses or a proof buffalo, what would your advice be:
Buchanan Liberty proof and unc.
Mary Todd Lincoln proof and unc.
'10 proof buff.
I'm leaning toward the two spouse proofs, but I think the Buff may be a low mintage coin (and a classic design).
I've collected the liberty series only to date.
I was going to skip Mary, but the reverse looks nicer than the Buchanan.
Any thoughts appreciated.

 
At August 16, 2010 at 6:25 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Buy what you like. Why would you want anyone else to tell you what to do? So they can take the blame if something doesn't go as expected. Better off flipping a coin if your undecided. I don't believe Michael cares to be anyones adviser. It's best one does their own homework.

 
At August 16, 2010 at 6:51 PM , Blogger Mint News Blog said...

While you should go with whatever suits your collection, interests, and budget, I am willing to express an opinion.

I would prefer the two First Spouse Coins over the 2010 Proof Gold Buffalo.

The mintage for this year's Gold Buffalo is comfortably above the low level set for the 2008. The only thing that would give the coin a big boost is if sales are unexpectedly cut off before the end of the year. I think it's unlikely, but it could conceivably take place if there is a surge in demand for gold bullion that causes the Mint to stop production of more collector coins.

In general, I think that the First Spouse Coins are an under-appreciated series that will become more appreciated over time. Once this happens the low supply resulting from the low mintages will set up for some healthy gains. I like the proof coins for appearance, but I also like the unc versions for the usually lower mintages.

 
At August 16, 2010 at 7:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

To first commenter it sounds like you want advice on which coins will appreciate 1.the most, 2. the fastest, and 3. can be disposed of the easiest in the future. Since they are all gold chances are they are all gonna go up quite a bit in the future but so are bread, green beans and hamburger. This is just a comment, not trying to give an answer to a question not directed to me.

 
At August 16, 2010 at 7:52 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks Michael,
I do not flip, I collect, and appreciate your comments. The absence of the proof silver eagles makes collecting nice precious metal coins painful on the budget. I really resent the increases on the mint/proof sets and will not buy any (I may regret this, but doubt I won't be able to get them on the aftermarket for a discount). My own mini-protest.
That being said, and after rolling my eyes over the entire proof plat garbage series, I'm excited about the Buchanan and Lincoln spouse releases and will likely collect them both. Usually I'm also drawn to proofs, but the Van Buren Unc. looks nicer than the proof to me with increadible detail on the reverse not seen in the proof. Please look at your Van B. proof v. Unc. reverse. So I'd love to hear first and about the proof and unc versions of the FS upcoming coins when collectors have them in hand.

 
At August 17, 2010 at 7:37 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I guess I'd better buy my Jane Pierce coins before tomorrow morning, since the average price of gold so far this week is solidly back in the $1,200-$1,249.99 range. Bummer. I was really hoping I could buy them with the upcoming Buchanan's Liberty coins (which I will be buying on the first day regardless of price, why tempt fate?) so I could save a shipping charge. But an extra $4.95 is a lot less than an extra $75! I buy one proof and two unc of each design.

I haven't seen any more talk about how the Uncirculated Jane Pierce coins were arriving with hideous die scratches on them. Are the coins shipping as of late looking any better?

 
At August 17, 2010 at 8:07 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Say what you will, but I like the look of the spouse coins, both the obverse and favored reverses. I do agree a couple reverses could use a little "uncluttering."
The Grant reverse with husband and wife on horses could be quite nice.

 
At August 19, 2010 at 7:35 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Eliza Johnson reverse looks like Andrew should be holding a cue stick instead of a pair of scissors! It looks like the posture for lining up a shot!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home